Recipe of the Week
I thought this would be a great addition to your Summer menus. You can use shredded chicken in place of the shrimp…it can be done without the shrimp or chicken for a vegetarian option. I made this in a trifle dish- it was a hit at a family BBQ!
-Kathy Soury, Healthy Living Coach
MEXICAN SHRIMP COBB SALAD
- 16 oz. cooked large shrimp or shredded chicken (great use for left over rotisserie chicken)
- chipotle chili powder to taste
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- salt to taste
- 6 cups romaine lettuce, shredded
- 15 oz. canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup grilled corn kernels (Trader Joes has them)
- 2 tablespoons red onion, chopped, divided
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 seedless cucumber, diced
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 ripe Haas avocado, diced
- 1 cup reduced-fat Mexican blend shredded cheese
-Rinse and chop shrimp into large chunks. (or chicken); Toss with a little salt, chipotle chili powder and fresh lime juice.
-Combine drained beans, corn, red onion, cilantro, lime juice, and salt to taste.
-In a large trifle dish or glass bowl, layer salad ingredients starting with lettuce, black bean mixture, cucumber, tomatoes, avocado, cheese. Top with shrimp or chicken.
SERVINGS: 6 (2 CUPS); SHRIMP: CALORIES: 268; PROTEIN: 28gr.; FIBER: 8gr.; CHICKEN: CALORIES: 331; PROTEIN: 29gr.; FIBER: 8gr.