How to Beat the BBQ Blues
How to Beat the BBQ blues – Tips and Strategies
– Bring healthy dishes to share. Ideas include veggie platter, fruit platter, whole wheat pasta salad, light hot dogs, and/or veggie burgers. Your family and friends will think you are so generous, while you secretly plan on filling up on your healthy foods.
– Get Active! Bring a frisbee, play with the kids, and run around! Take the focus off food!
– Avoid impulse eating by spending time away from the buffet table.
– Use smaller dishes.
– Never go to a party hungry, you will tend to over eat.
– Go with a plan. Visualize yourself at the party making successful choices. How will you feel afterwards? Visualize yourself making unsuccessful choices. How will you feel afterwards? The choice is YOURS!
– Think about this thought from Mary Poppins…Enough is as good as a feast!
– Drink water, water, and more water.
– Stick with fruits and veggies first to fill up, or have a huge plate of salad before you go for the main course.
– Leave leftovers with your guests.
Serving and Portion Size hints:
1 cup = an average woman’s fist
1/2 cup of rice or potato salad or ice cream = 1/2 of a baseball
3 oz. of meat = deck of cards
3 oz. of meat = checkbook
2 tbsp = ping pong ball
1.5 oz. of cheese = 4 dice
1/4 cup of nuts = golf ball
1 teaspoon = thumb tip
Remember…think ahead…how do you want to feel after the bbq and beyond?
Try this healthy entree recipe!
Greg’s Turkey and Black Bean Burger
1 Pound 99% lean Turkey Breast
1/2 Cup Egg Substitute (Egg Beaters)
1 Cup Old Fashioned Oats
1/2 Cup Black Beans, Rinsed
1/2 Cup Green Bell Pepper, Finely Chopped
1/2 Cup Onion, Finely Chopped
1 Teaspoon Mrs. Dash (Original)
Measure Oats and then roughly chop for smoother finished texture. Mash beans slightly. Mix all ingredients together. Form into 8 patties using a little more than 1/2 cup of mixture for each. Place large skillet over medium heat and spray with non stick cooking spray. Cook until done turning once.
Yields 8 servings, 131 calories per serving and 1.4 grams of fat.
Most of all, HAVE A HEALTHY AND HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!
Cristina “Crissy” Andreoli
Social Media Representative, Mamaroneck